Friday, September 6, 2013

When I was a Newbie

A post I recently read on crazyrunninglegs.com inspired this post.

As I sit here not running it makes me nostalgic.  I began running when I was 19 many years ago.  I did it to lose weight, get in shape, and fill that void that going from a 3 sport athlete in high school to nothing in college had left in me.  Little did I know what running would bring me.

At first it was all about losing weight, and being impatient I thought it should work right away. I also made the classic newbie mistake of running every day and piling on mileage as fast as possible.  It took me a while to realize my mistake.  I suffered a case of burnout and injury.  Learning from this I started again with a run walk plan and entered my first race.  CrazyLegs in Madison WI a 5 mile race through the campus and the city finishing on the football field.  It was painful and amazing and I was officially hooked.  My senior year at Madison I took the Marathon class.  The only requirement to pass,run a marathon.  There were 40 of us in that class and thanks to them I ran the Madison 1/2 marathon and then the Chicago Marathon.  Truly the best class i ever took!

I went on from there to run several other marathons and 1/2 marathons.  Every run and race I've done has helped me learn more about myself.  I've learned more about dedication, willpower, strength, and resilience from my years of running and the people I've met along the way.  I've learned to listen to my body.  To know when to push it and when to take it easy.  I've learned that running goes only as good as the shoes you put on your feet, spend the $ get the right show.  

I've learned that I'm a happier, more patient, peaceful person if I can get a run in.  

So as I sit here 38 weeks pregnant ready to be unpregnant I think of all these goals I've reached and things I've learned and I CAN'T WAIT!! To run again.  Where's my patience now?? Oh yea I haven't ran in a while I have none :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment